Her pitch was to get Delawareans posting on portals like TripAdvisor, City-Data and Virtual Tourist as well as sites dealing with interests such as birding, boating and dining out.
That's because visitors to those sites, who will make decisions about travel and relocation, have little knowledge of Delaware, she says.
"We've all had unique experiences in Delaware that we can share," Gelb says. "I'm sure right now there are people wondering if they move to Delaware where they would be most happy.
"Or they're thinking, if they're driving through the mid-Atlantic what's worth seeing?"So, we contacted Laurie and asked what sites should we visit and start posting to make this happen - here's her response:
The way I look at it, any user-generated content re DE is grist for the mill. So my list of UGC “types” includes pics, video, reviews, calendar listings, attraction listings, itineraries, tips, ratings, badges from portals (e.g. rated restaurants/lodging/
attractions should d/l their badges from TripAdvisor and put them on their Web sites bc then people are more likely to click through to the portals), hyperlinks to other content, etc.
That makes the list of sites/potential cross-links pretty eclectic, but here’s a sampling:
- VirtualTourist, TripAdvisor and other travel portals
- Zagat, Chowhound and other eatery boards
- Eventful, When.com and other calendars, including calendars of concerts, festivals, art exhibits
- Yelp, Yahoo and other review sites
- City-data and other relo portals
- YouTube and anywhere else you can place video or links to YouTube [e.g. very easy to feature your vid in a Flash shell on another site]
- Flickr, Picasa Web albums and other photo libraries
- Local photo streams like TNJ and natl streams like CNN iReport for news events
- Affinity portals for hobbies (birding, antiquing, hiking, golfing, fishing…)
- Link to your UGC by commenting on others’ articles, reviews and blogs, as appropriate, as well as links from FB and Twitter
- Use widgets for your platform(s), if available, that permit random display/slide shows of photos and/or links to other networks, e.g. Flickr Profile Widget on your blog