It was as far back as May 4, 2010, when a room full of people at the University of Delaware's Mitchell Hall got an inkling that there may be a major change coming to Egypt.
That was the evening that the University of Delaware's Center for Political Communication held a discussion about Political Communication and Social Networking featuring:
- David Plouffe - Barack Obama's 2008 campaign manager
- Steven Schmidt - John McCain's 2008 chief campaign strategist
- Jacqueline Ann Surin - writer from Southeast Asia
- Mona Eltahawy - writer from Egypt
Fortunately, the good people of C-SPAN were also in the room and captured the evening for all of us to see how prophetic Mona Eltahawy was nearly a year ago - Click Here to watch Mona Eltahawy's comments about social media in Egypt.
What Every Power Structure Needs to Learn From Egypt:
Here's what we need to understand - Every organization must understand the new world in which we live, let me be explicit on this - if you work for, work with, or are the embodiment of a:
- Religious Organization
- Government (local and national)
- then this applies to you.
You see, the same tools that enabled the people of Egypt to stand up to a 30-year-old power structure and succeed are available and being used by your customers, contributors, collaborators, and constituents.
4. This great video from Clay Shirky: